February 7/8,1943

F/O C. Porter -- 419 Squadron
While on operations to Lorient on February 7/8,1943, Halifax II DT-616 coded VR-K, flown by F/O C. Porter from 419 Squadron, was attacked by an FW-190. 

 At a position 49:00N-03:11W at 22:04 at a height of 15,000 feet, Sgt A. Taylor, the rear gunner, saw a single engined fighter, identified as an FW-190 dead astern, 600 yards away and approximately  1,000 feet below.  The visibility at this height was good, although there was 10/10ths cloud below, slightly illuminated by the moon about 15 degrees above the horizon. 

The enemy aircraft made an attack from this position and at 500 yards the rear gunner opened fire with a short burst. Fire was returned at 300 yards just before the fighter broke away to the starboard and below. The rear gunner got in another burst at this range but the fighter was lost from view because of evasive action, which the rear gunner gave to the pilot, a steep dive and turn to starboard. 

Approximately 160 rounds were fired during the encounter by the rear gunner. No damage appeared to be sustained by the FW-190 and the burst that was fired at the Halifax went well above the aircraft. 

There was no search light activity or lights on the ground that appeared to be assisting the fighter, and no lights were seen on the fighter. The mid upper gunner did not see the FW-190 during the encounter.

F/Lt L. Anderson -- 420 Squadron
On operations to Lorient on February 7/8,1943, Wellington III BK-235 coded PT-T, flown by F/Lt L. Anderson from 420 Squadron, was attacked by an unidentified enemy aircraft. This attack took place at 16,000 feet at 150 mph, course of 202 degrees about 20-30 miles of the French coast on the way to the target.

This aircraft was first sighted by the bomb aimer while on the starboard bow, slightly below the Wellington. Tracer was observed coming from the aircraft and evasive action was taken by a diving turn, the tracer passing over the port wing of the Wellington.

As the attacking aircraft passed over and on the port beam of the Wellington, F/Sgt Froude,  the rear gunner, open fire, firing a burst of approximately 150 rounds at 300 yards. Nothing further was seen of the attacker and the Wellington proceeded to the target, having suffered no damage. No strikes were seen on the enemy aircraft. 

Weather conditions were good, some cloud tops at about 10,000 feet, visibility was good. No other activity was observed prior to the attack.

S/Ldr W. Comar -- 424 Squadron
While on operations to Lorient on February 7/8,1943, Wellington III BK-398 coded QB-W, flown by S/Ldr W. Comar of 424 Squadron, was attacked by an unidentified enemy aircraft. The aircraft was first seen by Sgt G. Smith, the rear gunner, just before reaching the target at 21:10 at 15,000 feet at a speed of 150 mph. The visibility was good with a quarter moon on the port beam and no cloud.

The unidentified aircraft was first seen on the starboard quarter at 600 yards and came straight in to attack. Violent corkscrewing was carried out by the Wellington, and the rear gunner opened fire at about 500 yards with two bursts of about 300 rounds from all guns. The enemy aircraft broke away at about 400 yards by climbing steeply and was not seen again.  No damage to the enemy aircraft was claimed and it did not open fire.