September 17, 1944

    173 Halifaxes from 408, 415, 420, 424, 425, 426, 427, 429, 431, 432, 433, and 434 Squadrons were joined by 36 Lancasters from 419 and 428 squadrons on an attack of troop positions at Boulogne. The crews were over the target at between 2,000 and 10,000 feet, releasing 2,280,000 lbs of high explosives. According to reports, bombing was accurate and these troops surrendered soon after.

    P/O J. Tims from 415 Squadron returned without bombing on the master bomberís orders.

    F/O G. Duncan from 419 Squadron returned early as the bombsight was u/s.

    P/O W. MacDonald from 420 Squadron returned without bombing, as there were no T.Iís.

    F/O W. Palidwar and F/O L. Wright from 424 Squadron returned without bombing, as there were no T.Iís.
    F/O J. King USAAF and crew flying Halifax III LW-117 coded QB-K swung on takeoff and crashed. The crew was not injured.
    F/Lt G. Arbuckle was hit by flak outbound, F/O J. Morgan RCAF, the bomb aimer, was killed. They returned to base without bombing.

    F/O J. Simard from 425 Squadron did not bomb, as they were too high over the target.

    F/O J. Lasek from 429 Squadron returned without bombing, as there were no T.Iís.
    F/O J. Prentice RCAF and crew, flying Halifax III MZ-900 coded AL-K, was hit by flak. Both stbd engines were u/s and the stbd wing was on fire. This fire was put out only to start up in the port wing. The crew then bailed out into the English Channel. 

      F/Sgt F. Pratt RAF
      F/O T. Wilson RCAF
      F/Sgt S. Norejko RCAF
      Lt F. McRoberts USAAF
      F/Sgt W. Barty RAF
      F/Sgt J. Copeland RCAF
    The crew was later picked up by a Walrus. The rear gunner was slightly injured.

    F/O M. Lanin did not bomb as there were no T.Iís. On the return flight, this crew saw F/O J. Prentice in trouble and watched them bail out. The sea was smooth and they took a fix on the aircrew and flew to the English coast. They returned with a Walrus and two Spitfires for escort. Two of the crew were together in the water and the other five were about a mile away. After the walrus was on the water, they safely returned to base.

    Sgt A. Stedman from 432 Squadron landed at Manston on return.

    P/O H. Hawley from 434 Squadron returned without bombing, as the bomb doors would not open. They were also hit by flak, 3 feet of the port flap was shot off.

    While the above crews were at Boulogne, 5 Halifaxes from 429 and 433 Squadrons were ordered on a Sea Search. All crews returned safely, but unsuccessful.