September 23/24, 1943

    58 Halifaxes from 419, 427, 428, and 434 squadrons were joined by 5 Lancasters from 426 squadron on an attack at Mannheim. The crews were over the target at between 15,000 and 22,000 feet, releasing 130,000 lbs of high explosives and 223,000 lbs of incendiaries. According to reports, bombing was concentrated and severe damage was caused.

    F/Sgt R. Griffiths RCAF and crew from 419 squadron, flying Halifax II JB-971 coded VR-X, failed to return from this operation.

      Sgt L. Bender RAF
      Sgt R. Dempster RCAF
      F/Sgt J. Dayton RCAF
      Sgt C. Rolph RAF
      Sgt A. Willig RAF
      Sgt J. Rainville RCAF
    All were killed.

    Sgt J. Kelly RAF and crew, flying Halifax II JD-457 coded VR-F, failed to return from this operation.

      Sgt D. Pether RAF
      Sgt J. Morris RAF
      Sgt W. Maher RAF
      Sgt R. McNally RAF
      Sgt S. Mills RAF
      Sgt H. Brown RAF
    All were killed.

    F/Lt L. McCaig RCAF and crew from 426 squadron, flying Lancaster II DS-714 coded OW-L, was attacked twice by JU-88's. One the second pass the JU-88 was shot down, but their Lancaster was severely damaged and both gunners, Sgt G. Ketcher RAF and F/Sgt E. Hawkes RAF had been injured. The port rudder was shot off, turrets damaged, hydraulics u/s, holes in the port wing and fuel tanks. The port elevator was also damaged and many instruments were u/s. 

      Sgt G. Wooding RAF
      F/Sgt R. Orr RAF
      F/Sgt T. Preece RAF
      Sgt R. Polson RAF
      Sgt G. Ketcher RAF
      F/Sgt E. Hawkes RAF
    They crash-landed at Thorney Island without any other injuries to the crew.

    F/Sgt W. Armour from 428 squadron returned early as the stbd outer was u/s. They landed safely at base on 3 engines.
     P/O R. Eaton was attacked by an enemy aircraft. The stbd wing, fuselage and inner nacelle were holed. The stbd tire was also flat.
    F/Sgt J. Harkins landed at Ford on return.
    F/Lt H. Davis RCAF–POW and crew, flying Halifax V DK-271 coded NA-Q, failed to return from this operation.

      Sgt G. Annand RCAF–POW
      F/Sgt N. Reed RCAF
      W/O2 F. Sharpe RCAF
      Sgt R. Alexander RAF–POW
      P/O V. Stewart RCAF
      F/O R. Zdan RCAF
    4 crew were killed and 3 POWs after being shot down by flak and a Nightfighter.

    F/O W. Hadden RCAF and crew, flying Halifax V EB-207 coded NA-B, failed to return from this operation.

      Sgt J. Curran RAF
      F/Sgt A. Morris RAF
      F/Sgt S. Whitby RAF
      Sgt P. Flower RAF
      F/Sgt C. Renwick RCAF
      Sgt A. Yuill RAF
    All were killed.

    F/Sgt G. Hall from 429 squadron returned early with a technical problem. They landed safely at Dunsfold.

    Sgt E. Devaney from 434 squadron returned early as the rear turret was u/s.
    Sgt K. Smith landed at Cranfield on return.
    F/O J. Allen landed at Hartford Bridge on return.

    ~Headquarters~  ~Squadrons~  ~Order of  Battle~  ~Airfields~  ~Aircraft~ ~Photos~ ~DailyOps~ ~Noseart~  ~StrikePhotos~  ~Mining Codes~  ~Home~ Orders&Awards~ ~Betty'sBar~ ~Links~ ~What'sNew~ ~SignGuestbook~  ~ViewGuestbook~ ~E-mailMe~